Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Guest Blog: Sports! By O'Neill Faulkner



The fat lady has sung at Madison Square Garden for another year and Toots is back on the ice. But before I get into all of that, I want to give a shout-out to mah peeps! Colette, Kipper and fam, you rock. Mad props to Nancy Jaye and her family. Beenard the Retired Rodeo Bull and Maggie the Beautiful Hampshire Girl, Spring is just around the corner and the Radio Flyer Convertible is waiting. Howard, stay away from the catfish. (Just trying to help.) Jeannie, it's one foot in front of the other, my girl! Peaches and Pan? Seriously. Your mom is not going to eat you.

Now let's get back to sports. The Westminster Dog Show has wrapped up another week of walkies, squeakies, big hair and shiny trophies. The offerings this year were par for the course, ranging from the sublime:



to the, well, see for yourself:



Maybe it's just me, but I wanted to ask the little guy if he's trying to find someone to take him to our leader.

Even though it would have been a much better show if it had been two hours of nothing but two dozen ungroomed Bearded Collies and Old English Sheepdogs playing with a Cookie Monster doll, I was still pretty happy with the winner. Stump, a ten year old Sussex Spaniel was not only long in tooth, but long enough on charm that the judges saw fit to give him Best in Show.



Congratulations, big guy!

Speaking of long teeth, being a Nashville Predators fan has been a mixed bag this season. We keep seeing these really good players and then they disappear. Take Joel Ward. A couple of weeks ago, he was, as Dan Patrick used to say, en fuego.



Then where was he? It's like someone starts standing out and they shorten the leash. Joel, I'm rooting for you to chew yourself free and make some more goals.

Going by the pictures at The Predators' Official Website, it looks like Toots and his finger are back. A win against Ottawa would have been nice, but hey, it's nice to know he's off the scratch/injured list. Welcome back, dude!



Not seeing a Predators loss isn't the end of the world, but I hate to miss out on a game with Pekka Rinne at the net.



I have to admit to having a soft sport for Rinne not only because he's a good goalie, but because the first time I heard his name, I thought PeteandTerry were saying the Preds had pepperoni in the trapezoid. While it seemed like an odd choice as a swap item for Dan Ellis, I have to admit that I really like pepperoni and have at times wondered how much pepperoni I could get for my mom, so it made sense. This also makes me wonder if they have pepperoni in Finland or if it's one of those countries where you can get elk on your pizza. But enough pizza talk. I'm anxious to see them take on Detroit on Wednesday. I'll be there with popcorn and a fanger!

Wuff!
O'Neill

copyright 2009 jas faulkner

3 comments:

Pan said...

O'Neill, you just don't know. The way she looks at us sometimes...like she could just eat us up. It's just not normal.

Phyl said...

Oh shush, you silly kitty. O'Neill -- ignore him. He'll purr a different song when the sun goes down.

Excellent post, and a great assessment of the contestants, by the way.

I saw that the Preds lost last night, and I would have been cheering for them, except Ottawa really has been needing a boost this year. So I was kinda torn.

I did see, on the highlights, some really good saves by that pepperoni goalie, though.

Laura said...

O I WUZ SO EXCITD DAT OLD DAWG WAN TEH DAWG SHOW. IM 10 2 AN FEELZ MOAR LIEK 6 YER OLD!

NEILL U R RIGHTEOUS BLOGGR, DOOD! YAY! MAH MOM WONT LET ME BLOG AGAIN CUZ IM FUNNIR THAN SHE IZ. I WANTD 2 BLOG BOUT MAH BRO BUDDY STAYIN WIF US 4 FEW DAIS AN HOW WE RAN PACK ON TEH BAK FENCE ALL FRICCKIN DAI! DOOD! WHOA! SRY IM ALL PUMPD UP FRUM HAVIN MAH OWN PACK. KEEP BLOGGIN BRO! I FINKZ UR RETIRD RODEO BULL DOOD SHUD BLOG SOMETIME, 2!