Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Guest Blog: O'Neill Faulkner on the First Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs




I was going to write about the cage match that is the series between the Penguins and the Flyers and then I got a look at the Ducks tonight. When did the fairly good waterfowl get replaced by Moe, Larry and Curly? (Nuts to Shemp. Everyone knows the best Stooge is Curly. But I digress...) Then again, that was the start of second period. A lot can happen in 20 minutes and with the game tied 3 to 3 at the top of second intermission, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Until then, let's talk about the McCoy-Hatfield feudin' and a-fightin' that is going on in Pennsylvania. In spite of the presence of former Predators in the Band of the Hollywood Spray-tanned, I'm still rooting for the Penguins. When The Lovely Andrea asked my assistant what was with the ex-Preds, she tried to deflect the question. My theory is that they go through Moon Pie withdrawal and eventually turn feral. What other explanation is there for Hartnell's tendency to fling equipment and clothing at the puck? I would love to relax and watch him play, but this is hindered by the nagging fear that one day he'll get carried away and we'll be seeing naked Scotty on ice.

The Pennsylvania pickin' n' grimacin' had me on edge but it was the action over at MSG that had me on the edge of my seat. I started out rooting for the Caps and was expecting James Bond-like goals from Ovechkin and the crew. Instead we saw something that cemented my fandog-dom for them. They got out of their own way and delivered a strong no-nonsense 60 minutes of good hockey. No goals or floor shows from Number 8, but the solid assists more than made up for it. The Kremlin on the Potomac rules and Ovi is Fonzie.

There's not much to say about the Blue Jackets. I really like Coach Hitchcock and am happy for him and the fans in Columbus that they got to go this year. I'm hoping they can make a comeback in the latter half of the series.

And Calgary? The 'Hawks look like they're getting tired and cocky. Time to kick it up a notch!

What's next? Wait and see. Even if my guys didn't make it this year, it's still turning out to be a pretty entertaining series.

Loud and proud and waving my fanger.

Wuff!
O'Neill

PS. Brodeur? Dude. Time to switch to decaffeinated, big guy.


copyright 2009 jas faulkner

2 comments:

EdgyJuneCleaver said...

Dude! Where's your fur, man? What'd ya' get into? Did it smell bad. Mom's gotta work for the next few days and I'll have the place to myself. Lotsa stuff to blog about. Fist bump to ma' bro! Yow!
I don't get to watch hockey, these women just watch movies and then cry.

jas faulkner said...

Yo dude, backatcha!

That's my summer coif! Have fun with the run of the house. You know those big cylinders are kiosks of yummy goodness...

Wuff!
O'Neill